Today (at time of writing; yesterday at time of publishing) we had our scan to see if the baby was still breech. We’ve spent most of the past two weeks since our last scan thinking positively and assuming that, while increasingly less likely, the baby would turn in time and we’d be able to plan a natural birth. We’ve done a hypnobirthing course (which was great; lots of visualisation about the baby being in the right position) and nearly every night we’ve been trying moxibustion (Google it!) in the hope that the baby would turn.
On Monday I saw the midwife who, while refusing to put anything other than a question mark next to the presentation of the baby on my notes, told me she thought the baby might be head down, and 3/5 engaged at that. All very encouraging.
Then we had the scan. Still breech. I wasn’t overly worried about this; we’ve obviously discussed it before as it was becoming increasingly likely that this would happen and we’d decided on a c-section in the event that it did.
The news that we weren’t expecting was that the baby was measuring small. At our growth scan two weeks ago, we were reassured that the baby was measuring fine and the previous scan which showed the baby was small, was an anomaly. However the doctors now reckon that the ‘normal’ size scan was the anomaly, and the baby has been pretty small all the way along.
It’s our hospital’s policy to induce early (at 37 weeks) with babies that measure below the 10th centile. However, our baby is measuring on the 10th centile. Normally with breech babies they wait until 39th week to perform a caesarean section. So with me they have decided to split the difference and deliver at 38 +1.
Less than two weeks’ time. Eeek!
I must admit I have had a bit of a cry to mourn the natural birth that I was hoping for, but to be honest I just want to do whatever is safest for the baby, and in this instance it would seem that a c-section is the right way to go. I’m sure I’ll be feeling more philosophical and hopefully more positive once I’ve had a chance to digest the news. At the moment my mind is just swimming with the possibility of NICU and me being stuck on a ward with other women and their babies while mine is in difficulty elsewhere.
But that’s just one option. It could all be fine. The 15% margin of error with sizing the baby could mean that ours is actually perfectly fine weight-wise, just in an awkward position, and she’ll be absolutely fine. Time to try some hypnobirthing positive visualisation to swish those negative thoughts away!
Have you had a positive c-section experience? I’d love to hear about it in the comments. If you had a negative one, to be honest, I’d rather not know about it just now! Thanks lovelies xx